Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hawaiian Style... KAU YUK

When my tastes buds and cravings get the best of me what does this “local” girl do in Washington? I crave and I mean crave dishes, ingredients and condiments that you can find only in Hawaii. Trust me; no one wants to be around me when I am hungry. I get very grouchy when I am hungry! I rather STARVE if I can not have exactly what I want to eat. A girl’s got to do what a girl has got to do and make it my dang self… I am left with the sudden desire to Goggle and search for recipes to make my own and satisfy that crave!


This recipe below was from a spur of the moment desire to settle my chinese red pork craving. Thanks to places like Sum Leung Chinese Kitchen; http://www.hiloeats.com/view/149, Kow's & Ling's.
When anyone goes to Hilo, Hawaii they need to have a plate from at least one of theses chinese restaurants.
http://local.yahoo.com/HI/Hilo/Food+Dining/Restaurants/Chinese+Restaurants

You know what I am talking about because Hawaii has a unique taste in Chinese cuisine that you can not find anywhere but in HAWAII.

KAU YUK



3-4 lbs. pork belly or side pork

Oil for frying

1 jar of red bean curd

1 piece ginger

4 cloves of garlic

3 tbsp. brown sugar

2 tbsp. white sugar

1 tsp. Hawaiian salt

2 tbsp. oyster sauce

2 tbsp. hoisin sauce

½ tsp. Chinese five spice powder

1-2 cups water



1. Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces.

2. Brown in wok or pot, drain.

• I separate them in batches to ensure a good sear.

3. In a large pot, dump the whole jar of red bean curd & mash.

4. Add ginger, garlic, sugar, salt, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce and 5 spice.

5. Whisk together and simmer.

6. Add pork, simmer on low heat for about 1 hour.

• Stir occasionally, the mixture will thicken and you need to add ½ cup of water at a time to ensure it does not burn.

** you can adjust the flavor as you go adding more sugar if you like it sweet or hoisin and oyster sauce flavor stronger..

4 comments:

  1. Hi, do you recommend a certain brand of red bean curd? Went to the Asian market and there were many kinds and all different sized jars. How many ounces and which type of red bean curd? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mid PAC is great but probably any will do.

      Delete
  2. This is a good recipe! Real local taste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chinese unique in Hawaii? Actually Kau Yuk is a Korean dish that in Hawaii is often sold at some of the Chinese places but then all of them takes dished from the major food cultures Polynesian, Japanese, Chinese, Philippine, and Korean

    ReplyDelete