Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hawaiian Style... KAU YUK

When my tastes buds and cravings get the best of me what does this “local” girl do in Washington? I crave and I mean crave dishes, ingredients and condiments that you can find only in Hawaii. Trust me; no one wants to be around me when I am hungry. I get very grouchy when I am hungry! I rather STARVE if I can not have exactly what I want to eat. A girl’s got to do what a girl has got to do and make it my dang self… I am left with the sudden desire to Goggle and search for recipes to make my own and satisfy that crave!


This recipe below was from a spur of the moment desire to settle my chinese red pork craving. Thanks to places like Sum Leung Chinese Kitchen; http://www.hiloeats.com/view/149, Kow's & Ling's.
When anyone goes to Hilo, Hawaii they need to have a plate from at least one of theses chinese restaurants.
http://local.yahoo.com/HI/Hilo/Food+Dining/Restaurants/Chinese+Restaurants

You know what I am talking about because Hawaii has a unique taste in Chinese cuisine that you can not find anywhere but in HAWAII.

KAU YUK



3-4 lbs. pork belly or side pork

Oil for frying

1 jar of red bean curd

1 piece ginger

4 cloves of garlic

3 tbsp. brown sugar

2 tbsp. white sugar

1 tsp. Hawaiian salt

2 tbsp. oyster sauce

2 tbsp. hoisin sauce

½ tsp. Chinese five spice powder

1-2 cups water



1. Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces.

2. Brown in wok or pot, drain.

• I separate them in batches to ensure a good sear.

3. In a large pot, dump the whole jar of red bean curd & mash.

4. Add ginger, garlic, sugar, salt, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce and 5 spice.

5. Whisk together and simmer.

6. Add pork, simmer on low heat for about 1 hour.

• Stir occasionally, the mixture will thicken and you need to add ½ cup of water at a time to ensure it does not burn.

** you can adjust the flavor as you go adding more sugar if you like it sweet or hoisin and oyster sauce flavor stronger..

No comments:

Post a Comment