Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

PORK SQUASH SOUP & OXTAIL SOUP

 
 PORK SQUASH SOUP & OXTAIL SOUP
 
 
Okay, now I'm really giving the good stuff away. Just like all the other dishes I have been creating, I was craving oxtail soup. I never really ate it much growing up in Hawaii but I decided to try something new. I traveled to Hilo to have some and sometimes on a yearly trip to Vegas stood in the long line to have some oxtail soup at the California Hotel.
I have searched and tried so many recipes but never seemed to quite come up with the perfect taste.
This is THE ONE...the one that I could eat every week in Washington in the cold winter months. It takes time, a good attitude, lots of love and care.
Please try, enjoy and let me know what you think.
 
I encooperated the pork and squash because the soup base is the same. When you don't have enough time to nurture the oxtail go with the quick pork and squash style. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED I PROMISE.
I forgot to get some pictures of the key ingredients so give me some time and I will get them to you.
To me the certain special ingredients really make a difference such as the sesame oil. I will be getting back to you on the oden sauce and squash.
 
Pork and Squash Soup & Oxtail Soup
Pork belly pieces (1 ½ -2 lbs.) or tray of oxtail about 12 small to med. pieces (depends how many pieces you want)
1 whole onion, sliced half moon
5-8 garlic cloves
1 thumb ginger
1 42oz. can chicken broth and 1 box
1 packet dashi
Few pieces dried shitake
2 cubes bouillon
 Oden
Shoyu
Sugar
Salt
Pepper
Splash sesame oil
1 long green squash (peeled and chunked)
GARNISH:
1 bunch chopped green onion
1 thumb zested/grated ginger
1 bunch chopped cilantro
 
1.       Cut pork belly pieces in thin slices, sear with a little oil and drain (may take a couple batches)
(for the oxtail boil few hours until slightly tender, drain)
2.       In the same pot add sliced onions and caramelize (scrapping all the goodness off bottom) you can deglaze with a little sherry or white wine.
3.       Add in pork or oxtail, dashi packet, shitake, garlic and ginger and 1 big can of chicken broth
4.       Simmer on medium low for 1 hour (Add more water if liquid gets low)
5.       Add in rest of chicken broth, simmer until pork is tender.
6.       Add in approximately 2 tablespoons of shoyu, 2 tablespoons of oden, 1 tablespoon sugar, salt and pepper to taste. (you may need to add more shoyu if you like the taste dominate.)
7.       When the soup is to your liking in taste add in the cubed and chunked squash. (no squash for oxtail)
8.       Bring to boil and simmer 15-20 minutes
9.       Add a big splash of sesame oil
**garnish with green onion, ginger and cilantro
 
PORK & SQUASH

 
OXTAIL
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment