Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Caroline's Gandule Rice

Being from Hawaii all of us "locals" love to eat a variety of ethnic foods. Patele's and gandule rice are very popular for being sold on the side of the road...Unfortunately, it is hard to get in local restaurants, there are a few places but why not make it at home.
After the first attempt of making it, I came up with this trial and error recipe. Everyone loved it. My family enjoys gandule rice leftovers in an omelet so try that with the day old extra's. I hope you like it...
COMING SOON..My recipe for PATELE STEW!!!!!



Caroline’s Gandule Rice




1 cup olive oil

2 to 8 tbsp. oil for browning

3-4 pounds pork butt & belly, chopped small

2- 1 oz. packets achiote (annatto) seeds


1 whole sweet onion, chopped

3 bunches cilantro, chopped

12 cloves garlic, few crushed & diced

1 tablespoon Hawaiian salt (Nori’s), kosher or sea salt

1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste

1 cube chicken bouillon

2 – 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce

1- 15 oz. can pigeon peas, drained


2- 12 oz. cans pitted black olives, drained

8 c. uncooked rice, rinsed (do not rinse prior until ready to use)

9 c. water

1-2 tsp. cumin

Couple shakes of garlic salt 

1 party size square tin pan



For the achiote oil:

2- 1 oz. packets achiote seeds

1c. olive oil or vegetable oil

• Heat the achiote seed and olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the oil has taken a reddish color of the seeds.

• Strain into a pyrex.

• Cool and store.



Directions

1. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in sauce pan over medium high heat, add pork, brown & drain.

(I separate them into 4 batches to ensure good sear on pork in a wok; adds crisp)

2. While browning the pork, prepare the achiote oil.


3. In a large pot sauté garlic, cilantro, onion & browned pork until translucent.

4. Salt & pepper to taste.

5. Stir in tomato sauce, achiote oil, peas & olives.

6. Simmer for 10 minutes


7. Add in cube of bouillon, 9c.water; bringing to a boil.

8. Simmer while you rinse and drain the 8 c. rice

9. Add uncooked rice to pork mixture, stir well, cover and bring to a boil.

10. Immediately drop to low heat, stirring and keeping the mixture covered; 10 minutes.

11. Remove cover, stir, replace cover & cook another 10 minutes.

(I keep doing this until the rice soaks up all the juices, no need to worry if rice is uncooked at this point)


12. Transfer to large party size foil square pan, cover with foil.

13. Bake in a 350 oven for 1 hour, stir well every 15 minutes.

(I add cumin and sprinkle garlic salt about half way through, to your liking)




HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!!
Eat with Pateles :) A WINNA!

10 comments:

  1. OMGoodness...that look SO ono!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Girl, I wish you back here! I just opened my own catering company specializing in upscale desserts. Could sooo use u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's looks frigin ono! This is a neat blogging site! I might use this to post my recopies! When I can find some time? I don't even have time for FB anymore!

    Very nice! Well done.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. A recipe that cannot fail all the way from the grocery store to how it should look..Thanks Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so ono! Looks like a lot of work though and I don't know where I would get some of those ingredients. But I love hunto (sp?) rice and pastels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made it this weekend! It was ONO! The whole pan pau!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so ono. I get compliments every time I make this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this recipe! It came out really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this recipe 🙈💜 can’t wait to try it

    ReplyDelete